Friday, December 6, 2013

Chela's Taco Truck

If you've spent any significant time in San Antonio, you know that the quality of the Mexican cuisine is through the roof. This is no exception with the local favorite “Chela's Tacos” food truck. The incredibly recognizable red truck has found it's way to serve authentic tacos to students in San Antonio for years now, and can now be found almost every day at the outdoor bar “The Block”.

As you walk up to the truck you are greeted like an old friend coming for a visit. The smells coming from inside the trailer makes you second guess yourself on what you want. I happened to have arrived when owner Marty Davis was in the cabin, so I went on ahead and asked him for his suggestion on what to get for the day. Mr. Davis seemed overjoyed by my inquiry and exclaimed about the Pastor (spit grilled meat similar to Shwarma) and the Lengua (Tongue). I took his suggestions and got one of both, along with my personal favorite, Carnitas Michoacan all for a grand total $8.50.

First up was the Lengua taco. The fresh tortilla magnified the smell of the spices a thousand times, and I was excited. The first fantastic bite was tender, bursting with flavor, and a bit smoky. Next up was the Al Pastor taco, and boy was I glad I took advice from the big man in charge. The meat was magnificently seasoned, slightly crispy, and my now rival my favorite (which I'd saved for last). Carnitas is slow cooked pork, and in my opinion the king of delicious street tacos. This opinion was reaffirmed after I'd gone back to the truck to get a second after I'd two-shotted the first. Phenomenal.

The food alone should be enough to have this dedicated truck be a high light of the student culture, but that isn't so. Chela's should be lauded for Mr. Davis' sheer determination to bring quality food to our area after being forced to relocate by the police. Davis was arrested in 2011 after the Texas Department of Transportation complained his original location on UTSA Blvd. Was in violation of safety regulations. That didn't stop him though, and his truck remains close to the hearts (and mouths) of many students.

-David


www.chelas-tacos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment