Friday, December 6, 2013

Bombay Salsa Co.: Mexican-Indian Fusion!

Food trucks have had an incredible evolution of style and flair in the last decade, but when is the last time you've heard of a Mexican-Indian fusion truck?! Bombay Salsa Co. has been steadily building a fan base on the corner of 1604 and Chase Hill Blvd. by delivering hilariously delicious fusion tacos on a consistent basis. Every Thursday through Sunday the red food truck can be found posted in the CVS parking lot from 6:30pm until midnight, but you'll want to make sure to get there early to try their specials. They tend to be demolished by dark.

So I can only imagine how confusing Mexican-Indian fusion must sound, because I surely was when I was informed about its existence from a good buddy of mine. I grew up over seas in the UK, and my family was great friends with an Indian family so I am very much aware of the cuisine. I found myself saying “No way is this going to be something that works”, but alas, I was but a misguided young man! Saturday night and an empty stomach led me to venture out into unknown territory.

I pulled up, and noticed that there was no way someone could miss this truck. Strobe-lights on a bright red truck in the well lit parking lot drew me in like a moth to flame. The menu was full of terms I knew about, but made no sense. Vindaloo and Tandoori meats and sauces on Indian flat breads? The stoke was real. I initiated my usual strategy of asking the owner what exactly I should try and ended up with one Vindaloo taco, one Tandoori, and some Chai Tea for about $7.50. I was completely leveled at how good these tacos are in all honesty. Vindaloo is typically very, very hot but this did not make me turn into a fire breathing dragon. Probably for the best considering the idea behind the truck is already a bit odd, and they are trying to make people enjoy the food before showing them the true meaning of pain like a traditional Vindaloo. The Tandoori is a very flavorful taco, and is a great way to segway the idea of the fusion. If anything else, however, the festive Chai Tea was absolutely mind-blowingly good.

If you're looking to try something new for fun on a night out with friends, I implore you to dip your feet in these waters. Make sure to get their early for specials which include their Fish Tacos. Those things will test your faith in traditional tacos.

-David





No comments:

Post a Comment